Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Fish Update




Due to a comment I just received, I realized I have not updated the fish story.

All four died. They have been replaced.

Long version:
Three died the night after I posted about them. Ben and I walked into the kitchen and I saw two were floating. I scooped them out and then shortly a third rolled over and floated to the top. The last fish put up a good fight. He was around for a few more days then he also gave up, rolled over and floated to the top.

I took Uly to the store and we picked out four new fish. This time there were some $.10 feeder goldfish available so we got those. They should be more prone to a longer life. Carp are tough fish. They are also not tropical fish.

I guess I had a momentary lapse of reason thinking that tropical fish would survive. I mean, I live in Utah. It has been snowing daily for the past two weeks. Ding-Dong! You're not in San Diego anymore, Toto!!!

The boys handled the fish deaths really well. I told them that their fish would die one day and when that happened we'd get new ones.

4 comments:

Thorey said...

Really, the best way to deal with the deaths of pets in a healthy way is to have a bunch of pets that die as a kid. It helps you to appreciate the fungibility of pets "when these fish die, we'll get 4 new ones." And it's not that I don't love pets -- I do love them. I loved Fancy and Biff and Teddy and Nick, they were all wonderful and fun and I loved them. But I always understood they were animals, not people, and so I was never sad for an unreasonable amount of time after they died. So, my whole point is that I think you're doing a great job in making your kids emotionally healthy! :)

BTW, where is a picture of my Magnus?? Does he miss me??

Kristina said...

Im glad they handled it well, and you are too hillarious!
now did I hear that you are flying home on a private jet???? little miss fancy pants!!

Bill and Alice Johnson said...

Yes, goldfish can be very resilient. I won one at the Del Mar Fair when I was a kid and it lived in dirty water (my fault) for SO long! I enjoy your blogspot! Keep tracking us, as I will soon have more to report!

Pixie said...

Oh well for the fish. I'm glad they handed the deaths really well. Thorey's right, it's good for kids to get it. :D